Charles and Ernest Schneider were a generation younger than Emile Gallé and the Daum brothers, whose glassworks were in the same area of France. The Schneider brothers worked for Daum from the early 1900s, Ernest as a salesman and commercial manager, and Charles as a freelance designer. The brothers left Daum around 1912, and re-commissioned an old glassworks under the name Schneider Frères et Wolff, a few miles north of Paris in 1913. Henri Wolff was an architect friend of Charles Schneider. Initially the Schneiders made high quality cameo vases and lamps, but in 1914, Charles, Ernest and most of their skilled glassworkers were led away to fight in the war. They returned and re-opened their glassworks in 1917 to make glassware for hospitals, and they sold shares in the company to finance getting back into the art glass market.